- These types of tubs are the most common and tend to be the least expensive type. They tend to be lightweight and thus easier to carry up the floors or through small doors.
- Solid surface is made of a mixture of minerals and other resin to produce a strong smooth nonporous material. The mixture can be molded almost to any shape and size. This material is very popular in bathroom use for its smooth fine finish in luxury homes and hotels. Solid surface material has a silky smooth finish. Solid surface tubs are nonporous and are more hygienic than most tubs and are naturally resistant to mold, stains or mildew. They are naturally antibacterial thus giving you a cleaner feeling. The finish can be matte or shiny.
- Stone tubs are hand carved from natural marble, Granite, travertine or other stones. They tend to be very heavy and you might need to reinforce your floor. They tend to be a very unique look.
- Cast Iron
- Cast iron tubs are also very heavy. You might need to reinforce your floor. They are coated with porcelain enamel. Most manufacturers have switched to acrylic tubs instead because you get the same look and but are a fraction of the weight of a traditional cast iron tub.
- Copper tubs are usually a more expensive choice. They have an ability to conduct heat which allows the water to maintain a steady temperature. Copper also is resistant to mold and bacteria.
When you are shopping for a freestanding bathtub you might be overwhelmed in trying to decide what to choose. This Guide might be able to help you in that process and make your selection easier.
This might be your first consideration. Most remodeling of existing tubs is a replacement of 60” tubs. If you are remodeling an existing bathroom and replacing an existing tub to a freestanding tub, you might be limited to a 59” freestanding tub size. Freestanding bathtubs come in a variety of sizes. The most common sizes are 59”, 63”, 65”, 67”, 71”. The size of your tub is the first thing you need to determine. If you have the space to fit a bigger tub, you should go with a 67” or 71” to make a grand impression.
Freestanding tubs are made either as a soaking tub or a spa soaking style tub. A freestanding spa tub is either a whirlpool tub or air jetted tub. In a whirlpool, tub water is recycled through a pump giving a massage feeling. In an air jetted tub air is pumped through many holes in the tub giving a relaxation feeling similar to receiving a gentle open-handed massage.
You can Find Freestanding tubs in a variety of Materials. Knowing the difference can help your decision easier.
4 - Style
You can find many styles (round, square, Clawfoot, etc…). The most common style is an oval freestanding tub. The functionality of the tub does not change with style but is more a matter of taste.
5 - Cost
Prices can start as low as a few hundred dollars or go up to a few thousand. If you want to go with the lowest price your best option would be the acrylic tubs. Otherwise, you can choose any other material.